Since the original article was posted on using the RTL2832U DBT stick with SDR-Radio.com, one of our readers (Jeff) pointed out that some new .dll files have recently been made available that will allow you to more easily use a RTL2832U stick with SDR-Radio.com. The biggest advantage of the of the new .dlls’ is not having to use SDR-Radio.com with the rtl_tcp TCP server. This allows you not to have to start the server every time you use SDR-Radio.com, plus SDR-Radio.com starts processing data from the RTL2832U much faster. The other advantage, is that it does make installing the RTL2832U for SDR-Radio.com a bit simpler. These .dlls’ were not developed by Simon (SDR-Radio.com author) but by a third party AA5SH and can be downloaded directly from his website. I did a quick test of the new .dlls and they seemed to work fine. You can choose to continue to use the TCP server, which might come in handy to stream data from a RTL2832U to a remote copy of SDR-Radio.com, or you may want to give the new .dll method a shot. Heres how to use the new .dlls’:
- Download and install the latest preview version of SDR-Radio.com.
- As usual download and extract the latest Zadig drivers and install them for your RTL2832U stick. Remember you need the 7Zip software to extract Zadig.
- Download and extract the .dll files from AA5SH website.
- Open the folder SDR-RADIO.com.RTLUSB that you extracted. There will be two folders 32bit and 64bit. Open the folder that matches your Windows version (32bit or 64bit). Copy the three .dll files contained in the folder to the SDR-RADIO-PRO.com folder on your PC (usually found in your Program Files folder).
- Start the SDRConsole.
- Click on the Radio Button near the top of the console. Add a radio definition. Be sure to change the radio type in the drop down menu to RTL SDR (USB). Click the Search button and if everything is installed correctly SDR-Radio.com will find the RTL2832U. Click OK and your stick should show up in the radio definitions list. You can also select the sample rate at this point if you want to from the drop down in the radio definitions box. Highlight the RTL2832U device in the radio definitions list and click start.
- You RTL2832U should now be running with the RTL2832U stick.
- You may want to adjust the RF gain setting from the RF menu at the top of the SDRConsole screen.
- You also want to click on the More button at the top of the SDRConsole and set the PPM offset to have SDR-Radio to more accurately display the tuning value from the RTL2832U stick.
Thats it. Enjoy!